Spanish Christmas Lottery – The Ultimate Guide 2019
Reading time: 7 minutes
A spanish tradition
The word tradition is absolutely appropriate for the Spanish Christmas lottery, because in less than a month the draw will take place for the 20th time. It is a state lottery that has been drawn since December 1812 on December 22nd. However, it has only been known since 1892 under the title »Sorteo de Navidad«. Basically it is a special education, which is carried out by the Spanish lottery company. It has become so popular these days that many websites, with the Christmas lottery of Spain in focus, have jumped out of the ground. Some facts about the lottery:
- Biggest lottery in the world – The lottery has long been considered the largest in the world, which of course is related to the total prize money: over 2.3 billion euros are distributed annually.
- distribution – About seventy percent of the stakes are actually distributed.
- Grand prize – El Gordo has more than 640 million euros.
However, this lottery is not a pure way for Spaniards to win money. While the first draw took place on 18.12.1812 due to the War of Independence in Cádiz, only the 22nd of December is used. On this date El Gordo starts the actual Christmas season. Since the traditional messaging is not taking place in Spain until the 6th of January, El Gordo and Epiphany describe the time window of the Christmas season. Typically, on Epiphany, another special education follows.
El Gordo – how does the Christmas lottery work?
One should not imagine the draw of the Christmas lottery as the mere drawing of the Saturday lotto numbers. The Christmas lottery in Spain is a social event that has always been public and has been broadcast live on TV since 1967.
Nearly fifty percent of Spaniards enter into the drawing ceremony. And there is a lot to see:
- drum – Instead of the glass ball, which describes the German lottery drawing, the Spaniards use two drums. The first contains loose balls, the second prizes.
- roll – Special wooden balls made of boxwood are used. Each ball was labeled in advance by laser with a lot number. As many lottery tickets as there are balls in one drum. The second drum also contains wooden balls, but these are labeled with the profit sums. In 2013, there were 100,000 lottery balls. In the same year there was one with 500,000 euros, one with 1.25 million euros and one with 4 million, two with 200,000 euros, eight with 60,000 euros, 1,794 balls with 1,000 euros.
How does the drawing work in detail?
For every lottery, the draw is the focus. So also with the Spanish Christmas lottery. But while today many lotteries are more sterile or the numbers just barely read in the news, Spain also maintains a tradition on December 22nd.
At the center of the festivity are children, who still traditionally come from the house where the first drawing children came from: the Colegio San Ildefonso. This building, located in Madrid, was once an orphanage and these same children have reneged on the lottery numbers and prices. Although the orphanage is now closed, the building now serves as a school – for boys and girls from bad family backgrounds.
During the draw, two drums each fall simultaneously into a glass bowl at a time. Two children now take the balls and sing the lot number and the price. After about twenty balls, the drums are stirred, then it goes on. Each draw lasts about three and a half hours, without losing the tension. Because all balls and prices are treated the same, the wholesale prices can be drawn at any time.
Many Spaniards use the day of the draw for a social get-together. The draw of the winners will be watched together. Meanwhile, it is also possible to watch the draw in the livestream.
Which profits are possible?
One of the special features of this Christmas lottery is described by the odds of winning. There are so many prizes that this year again, every sixth lot represents a profit. And what do these profits look like? An overview:
- El Gordo – this is the main prize with 4 million euros.
- Second place – 1.25 million euros will be awarded here.
- third place – 500,000 euros
- fourth place – Two times 200,000 euros will be awarded here. Fifth place – this is awarded eight times: 60,000 euros.
- Further – Exactly 1,974 times 1.000 € will be drawn. These winnings are called "Pedrea," which can be translated as hailstones.
But these are just the main prizes. Not drawn lot numbers can win:
- 2 x 20,000 euros – You will be paid to the lot numbers that come directly before and after the lot number of El Gordo.
- 2 x 12,500 euros – the principle remains, only it is the lot number sequences after the second place. 2 x 9,600 euros – the lot numbers before and after rank three.
- 297 x 1,000 euros – the lottery numbers whose first three digits are identical to the first three digits of the seats one, two or three.
- 198 x 1,000 euros – here the first three digits must agree with those of fourth.
- 2,997 x 1,000 euros – Now count the last three digits that must match the last three digits of position 1, 2 or 3.
- 9999×200 Euro – This is the commitment payback of 200 euros, if the last digit of the lot matches the last digit of El Gordo.
These winnings are all set. And who is just thinking about how El Gordo alone comes to 680 million, if only one time 4 million euros is drawn, makes mathematically everything right. Now the lots come into play.
The lots of El Gordo
Like the National Lottery of Spain, El Gordo is played with lots, each with a five-digit number. There are now 100,000 lot numbers, each printed on sheets. Who plays online, receives virtually only the virtual form of the arc, or the section:
- The arc – Each arch has ten separable sections. These are the so-called tenthless, while the bow, the billet, represents the whole lot.
- series – of each sheet with a lot number, a series of, last year, 170 pieces will be printed. 1,700 sections each bore the same lot number. Since the sheets are reprinted in high demand, the number of pieces this year until 22.12. still differ. For the sake of simplicity, the serial number of 170 is used below.
- Losarten – Usually there are whole lots, so a bow and the tenth lot. Meanwhile, however, the system has expanded so that there are 1/20 lots, 1/50, 1/100, 1/5 and 1/2 lots on the market. A whole lot is relatively expensive, currently it is online for an average of 240.00 Euro.
But why are the lots so important now to understand the profit system? Very easily. If lot number 55.555 is drawn for El Gordo, then all 170 lot owners have received this price, if this lot number was given as a whole lot. Since this is never the case and countless people buy half lots or tenth lot, also get some of this profit. It therefore applies:
- 170 sheets per number – Fourty million would be paid out 170 times if the lot was never shared.
- 1,700 tickets per number – If the ticket number would be circulated exclusively as a tenth lot, then all 1,700 ticket holders would receive 400,000 euros.
Due to the various ticket options, it is not possible to specifically mention a profit. Everyone has the chance to win with his lottery, but who buys a tenth lot or even a fiftieth ticket, gets only a tenth or a fiftieth of the winning total. This rule also runs through the side profits. For example, if you have a tenth lot and win the reimbursement, you would not get the 200.00 Euro, but only 20.00 Euro.
El Gordo also play in Germany – is that possible?
Meanwhile, the lottery can be played in Germany. There are now online providers who have the Christmas lottery of Spain in focus and so easy to participate. So who wants to participate, can also create a new Christmas tradition.
Famous winners of El Gordo
Presumably, many may remember that the news was reported by "millionaire villages" or the like. In fact, behind it is the Spanish Christmas lottery. But especially in Spain, the lucky fairy has to be very good with some regions.
And who wants to improve his own chances, should definitely consider whether a short-term move to Manises in the province of Valencia is possible. Because since 2012 El Gordo struck there three times.
Where luck is good in Germany as well. In 2017, four Germans won the main prize, although they did not have a whole lot, but only got 200,000 euros each. In the first three winning classes were found seven German – which was only the indication of a single provider.
Why win whole villages
Fact is, as good as the odds of winning, after all, are 1 in 100,000, so are the lots. Meanwhile, a whole sheet with 10 single lots goes clearly into the price segment of 250.00 euros. For many Tipper this sum is simply too high to simply put it on the line. For this reason, often syndicate form:
- Spanish villages – They are simply known media. The small villages usually buy together one or two lots and thus win as a village community. This may have been a bit bitter for the gentleman, who was only drawn to a Spanish village after having bought his ticket – and his neighbors all won.
- societies – Sports clubs also like to use the possibility of a syndicate. Is money finally to be found for the renovation of the showers? El Gordo may help.
- circle of friends – They also like to use a whole lot together. In the end, holidays in the circle of friends will not be easier to finance in the coming year.
The explanation behind many "million villages" is thus simple. There were simply bought together so many lots of a lot number together. And in this way your own regulars' table or the round of cards can become a phenomenon: You only have to buy at least a whole lot in the group.
Conclusion – El Gordo is fascinating
The Spanish Christmas lottery is the older lottery – and the biggest. In addition, the draw is now a huge tradition in Spain, which thrills many people. Meanwhile, she has long since come to Germany and most of the lottery and online lottery providers also have El Gordo with various lot types in the program. In general, the chances of a win are also high, after all, winning every sixth lot. Whether this profit is a rain of money or just a drizzle, of course, depends on your own lot. The more pieced, the lower the own profit share. And who wants to watch the spectacle around the drawing once, can do that online long ago on 22.12. in the morning. To this day, the children sing the number and the prize, some time after the draw, all the winner lots are published on the Internet.
Fidels / vipman4 / stock.adobe.com
PS: Quality management is important to us!
Please let us know how you like our article. Click on the asterisks shown below (5 stars = very good):
PPS: Did you enjoy the post very much?
Support our guide portal: